Board of Supervisors
The Board of Supervisors holds regular weekly meetings at 9:00 am on Tuesday mornings at the County Administration Building located at:
651 Pine St.
Duties and Responsibilities
Martinez, CA 94553
All meetings are open to the public, and the public is encouraged to attend.
As defined by general law, the duties of the Board of Supervisors include:
- Appointing most County department heads, except elected officials, and providing for the appointment of all other County employees
- Providing for the compensation of all County officials and employees
- Creating officers, boards and commissions as needed, appointing members and fixing the terms of office
- Awarding all contracts except those that are within the authority delegated to the County Purchasing Agent
- Adopting an annual budget
- Sponsoring an annual audit made of all County accounts, books, and records
- Supervising the operations of departments and exercising executive and administrative authority through the County government and County Administrator
- Serving as the appellate body for Planning and Zoning issues
- Serving as the County Board of Equalization (the Board has created an Assessment Appeals Board to perform this function
Information related to Appointed Bodies, Committees, and Commissions to the Board of Supervisors
For additional information about the Board of Supervisors' appointed bodies, committees, and commissions, including the Maddy Book listing; please click on the Appointed Bodies, Committees, and Commissions tab on the upper left side of this page.