- Prospective volunteers should first watch this short, informative Orientation video (coming soon) to learn about Contra Costa Animal Services mission, history, as well as the volunteer opportunities available to you.
- Next, prospective volunteers may submit the online Volunteer Application. You will be asked to select a date for your Day One training session (Offered the 2nd Saturday of every month). Space for Day One training is limited.
- Day One Training will take place at our Martinez shelter, and provides the basic foundation for all volunteer positions.
Prospective volunteers are encouraged to print and sign the following documents ahead of time, and bring them to the Day One training.
- Volunteer Expectations
- Volunteer Dress Code
- Chameleon Usage and Guidelines
- Social Media Guidelines
- Auto Insurance Declaration
- Computer Responsibility Statement
If you are unable to print ahead of time, the documents will be provided at the training. To expedite the training please review the documents in advance.
- Prospective dog volunteers are required to complete classroom training with our behavior team before handling the shelter dogs in our care. The training schedule will be provided at Day One Training.
- All prospective volunteers complete several training sessions with an experienced “Mentor” volunteer, which is specific to each assignment. The amount of training varies, depending upon the assignment.
Once the training sessions are complete and the new volunteer has demonstrated their ability to perform the tasks at hand, they are scheduled for an ongoing shift and they begin their role in the assignment of their choosing!