Civil Unit
920 Mellus St.
Martinez, CA  94553
Phone: 925-313-4200
Fax: 925-313-4220

Hours of Operation
8:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday - Friday
The office is closed on weekends and County holidays.

Instructions and Information
All documents must be accompanied by a letter of instruction, signed and dated by the attorney of record or the plaintiff, if there is no attorney. The instructions must include the name of the person to be served and the address where service is to be made. A wage levy requires an Application for Earnings Withholding Order instead of a letter of instruction. The applications and forms are available at the front counter of our office.

The Sheriff of Contra Costa County will serve the following levies and documents  

Levies followed by an * must be served by the Sheriff.

All others may be served by the Sheriff or a Registered Process Server.

  • Attachment Lien Notice (AT-1) filed with the Secretary of State via U.S. Mail (must be signed by Sheriff)
  • Attachment Lien Notice filed with DMV (must be signed by Sheriff)
  • Automobile seizure and sale *
  • Bench Warrant - Civil *
  • Boat Seizure and Sale *
  • Book Levy on Funds Held by Sheriff *
  • Business Levy (keeper levy) *
  • Claim and Delivery *
  • Earnings Withholding Order only on Federal or U.S. Postal Employees
  • Equipment Seizure and Sale *
  • Eviction *
  • Keeper Levy *
  • Levy on Securities *
  • Order to Show Cause
  • Personal Property Seizure and Sale *
  • Real Property Levy
  • Restraining Order
  • Seizures of Personal Property *
  • Subpoena - Criminal
  • Temporary Restraining Order *
  • Till tap *
  • Warrant of Attachment (see bench warrant) *
  • Writ of Possession of Real Property (Eviction) * 
The Sheriff of Contra Costa County will NOT serve the following levies and documents unless you are incarcerated or have a fee waiver from the court. The following levies must be served by a Registered Process Server. Non levy civil process can be legally served by anyone over the age of eighteen who is not a party to the action or by a Registered Process Server. Click on "Process Server" Help below.

  • Affidavit and Order
  • Bank Levy
  • Citations/Petition (Probate and Juvenile Court)
  • Claim of Defendant (Cross Complaint)
  • Claim of Plaintiff (Small Claims)
  • Complaint without Summons
  • Counter Claim or Counter Affidavit
  • Cross Complaint - Small Claims
  • Default Judgment (Judge's Order)
  • Dissolution (Divorce and Annulment)
  • Earnings Withholding Order (except federal and U.S. Postal Services employees)
  • Judgment (Order of Court)
  • Notice of Court Action
  • Order to Show Cause
  • Rent Levy (money collected from tenants)
  • Safe Deposit Box Levy
  • Statement (foreign support order)
  • Subpoena (Civil, or Juvenile)
  • Summons and Complaint
  • Summons and Petition
  • Third Party Levy
  • Wage Assignment
  • Wage Garnishment 
Forms and Worksheets [ :: Printing Instructions :: ]

Levy and Sale Help Forms

County Websites

The Official Website for the Contra Costa County is:
Search the CC County Recorder's database at

State Websites

State Judicial Council Forms can be filled out and printed at
All California Law Codes are available at
Writ of Attachment AT-1 Attachment Lien Notice:

Services Requirements

For all services, we require a copy of the document, front and back, for each person to be served. For levies and evictions, we require the original writ of execution. Please include more copies if you have more than one levy. All documents must be accompanied by the appropriate fee or a court-ordered fee waiver. All fees are per service. Two defendants equal two services, even if they are at the same address.

Out of State Services 
Sheriff's Instruction Form
All documents must be accompanied by a letter of instruction, signed and dated by the attorney of record or the plaintiff, if there is no attorney. The fee for service is $40.00 plus an additional $15.00 if the proof of service needs to be notarized. Checks must be made payable to “Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Office”.

Disbursement of Funds

Pursuant to California Code of Civil Procedures Section 706.026, levy monies received by the Sheriff are disbursed at least once every 30 days, unless the monies were paid with cash. CA Govt. Code § 26746 provides for the Sheriff a $12.00 assessment to be collected from the judgment debtor on each disbursement of money paid to a judgment creditor.  

Sheriff's Fees
Effective 1/1/2017
Any document(s) if the sender is incarcerated IN CONTRA COSTA COUNTY $40.00
Any document(s) with a Certified Copy of a Fee Waiver-CA only Waived
Any seizure of personal property pursuant to writ of attachment, execution, or sale $100.00 and up
Automobile levy $1,000.00 and up
Bench Warrants (must come directly from the court) $50.00
Writ of Possession ~ Claim and Delivery $100.00 and up
Criminal Subpoena or Duces Tecum No fee
Evictions (Writ of Possession - Real Property) $145.00
Evictions - Reposting of Eviction Notice $80.00
Keeper Levy - 8 hour to seize cash of a going business $240.00
Keeper Levy - 48 hour to seize personal property of a going business $2,500.00
(plus added costs)
Real Property Levy ~$800 initial deposit.  Approximately, $1,800 or more, additional will be required after 4 months to publish and notice real property sale $800
 (initial deposit)
Seize and sell levy $100.00 and up
Temporary Restraining Orders
(Civil Harassment, Domestic Violence, Elder Abuse)
No fee with fee waiver;
$40.00 without fee waiver.
Till Tap $100.00
Wage Garnishment $35.00
Writ of Attachment  $100.00
Writ of Possession of Personal Property after judgment $100.00
Writ of Sale (personal property) $100.00 and up
Bank Levy  $40.00
Out of State Service $40 + $15 Notary Fee
Opening Safe Deposit Box $285.00

The Sheriff is entitled to fees whether or not the service is completed.  We cannot guarantee that our service will always be successful (CA Govt. Code § 26736 & 26738).  All fees will be paid prior to performing any service (CA Govt. Code § 6103.2).

Legal Advice

The Sheriff cannot give out personal or legal advice or answer any questions which are legal in nature. If you have a legal question, please contact an attorney.